As we know that the US government runs some non-essential discretionary federal programs. When a government is failed to run these programs, then there occurs a government shutdown. When the government of Congress is not able to approve a budget for the upcoming fiscal year, then a government shutdown also occurs. The government shutdown doesn’t mean that the government is failed and all the federal operations of the government will be ceased. On the other hand, the government shutdown means that only the non-essential programs of a government will be ceased and all the workers of these programs are sent to the home. If you don’t have enough idea about the government shutdown, then you can get help from experts in cheap dissertation writing services.
List of government shutdowns
If we take an overview of the history, then we come to know that there are lots of government shutdowns are occurred in the history of the US. These shutdowns are explained below;
- Due to the dispute in the budget, the first government shutdown occurred in 1980. It remained only for one day during the reign of President Carter. 1,600 employees were furloughed as a result of this government shutdown. The cost of this government shutdown was seven million US dollars.
- The second government shutdown also occurred during the reign of President Carter and it also remained only for one day. The cost of this government shutdown was almost eighty to ninety million dollars. If we take an overview of the number of furloughed workers, then we come to know that they were 241,000 in number.
- The third, fourth and fifth government shutdowns occurred during the reign of President Reagan in 1981, 1984 and 1986. During these government shutdowns, a huge number of workers were also furloughed.
- When there was G.H.W Bush was the president of US, then a government shutdown also occurred in 1990 and it remained for three days. During the reign of Clinton, there were also two government shutdowns in 1995 and 1996. The first government shutdown remained for seven days and the second remained for twenty-one
- During the reign of President Obama, a government shutdown occurred in 2013 and it remained for sixteen days. The cost of this government shutdown was $24.
- During the reign of President Trump, the first government shutdown occurred in 2018 and it remained only for three days. The second government shutdown occurred in 2018-2019 and it remained for twenty-one
Impacts of the government shutdown
There are lots of impacts of the government shutdown and some of them are given below;
- Due to the government shutdown, the federal government workers face a lot of problems.
- The research projects at the US universities are affected due to the delay of funds.
- The AAA rating of the US is also decreased.
- All the civil cases are also delayed due to the government shutdown.
- The reviewing and approving process for the public offering has also stopped by the SEC.